Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hate the hate

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a Christian. One of those born-again evangelicals. And if you're not one like me, you're probably immediately thinking up all sorts of assumptions about me. Unfortunately, we too often deserve it. It hasn't been easy for those living on the wrong side of Christians in the past. From the beginning vestiges of the Catholic Church to present day, a huge pall on the image of Christianity is the belief that Christians can be "intolerant", "bigoted", and "hateful." And it's true a lot of times.

It's frustrating because Jesus called Christians to be the opposite of hateful. In fact, he was more respectful and welcoming of people that had a different lifestyle than him than anyone else I have ever known. The word "love" is very common in the Bible for a reason. When will we Christians realize that we're never going to be an influence on others if we're constantly condemning and disrespecting others?

I am filled with disgust for what happened to Tyler Clement at Rutgers University. Tyler was caught on camera kissing another guy.  The two people who recorded then posted it for the world to see. Tyler was so ashamed and embarrassed that he killed himself. I doubt those two students were Christians, I think they were just trying to get attention. Christians are more known for the quiet, avoid the gays, thump the Bible, whisper and gossip kind of people. 

Whether it's popular or not, I am firm in what I believe in. I like to call myself a respectful, caring, and intolerant guy. I will never bash gays, I will never hate them, I will never refuse to talk, hang out, be friends with, fill in the blank here, with gays. It's horribly wrong and stupid. I'm no better than them. I'm not an angel, I'm not perfect, I'll never have all the answers, so why treat them as though I'm better. 

But I will also never support or condone homosexuality. I believe it's against what God has called us to do and to be. And while I don't support homosexuality, I DO support the fight against bigotry and hate. And so, on October 20th, "Wear Purple Day," I come against Christians and non-Christians alike who think that the answer is to ridicule and demean homosexuals. It's not. Jesus called us to do the opposite. Let's step up, push our homophobia aside, and become more like Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment