Thursday, June 24, 2010

There are 3 types of people in the world...Those that can count and those who can't

When it comes to worship, Christians fall into one (or more) of four categories:
1) The only good worship songs are anything written before 1995. New music is the devil and I refuse to sing along.

2) The only good worship songs are songs that came out in this past decade. Old songs and hymns are lame.

3) It doesn't matter if it's newer songs or old school, I am God's gift to mankind with my operatic soprano voice who sings a million times louder than everyone else.

4) I can appreciate the new and the old, (whether I like one more over the other or not) people can be moved by any genuine worship song.

Let's face it, more often than not, the first three are wayyy more common than the fourth. Most people will claim they fall in the fourth category, but if they were honest, would they really? Truthfully, they want to, but they never will.

For me, more often than not, I find myself picking number 2. I'm in my twenties, I grew up in the nineties and I prefer more contemporary music over traditional. I'm not going to lie. When the adult worship team takes the stage and plays "Draw Me Close to You" and "As the Deer," I inwardly grown. And it used to be bad. Really bad. I would relentlessly make fun of old school music. I couldn't stand it.

But you know what I realized? Some of that music is good! The lyrics are amazing! The music just needs a little touch up. And I'm not the only one who realized that. Jesus Culture figured it out too. They play a lot of stuff from the '90s and it sounds amazing because they tweaked a few things here or there. And what it did was give me a new appreciation for the older stuff. God will move and touch lives no matter what style of music is playing. He doesn't care. So neither should we.

I'm sick of the older generation refusing to learn new stuff and getting offended when the youth band plays something they never heard before that has a faster tempo than they would like. I'm sick of teenagers not worshiping because the music sounds cheesy.

Piece of advice: GET OVER IT. The old people will always love the old music and the young people will always like the new music. 40 years from now I will be wishing for the old music and hating the new, no doubt. And the teens will think music from my day is lame. It'll never change.

So young and old alike, why don't you unfold your arms, stand up, wipe the scowl off your face, and worship God? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment