Thursday, September 16, 2010

Living a life of integrity

If you really think about it, integrity is a really intense word. This is how Dictionary.com defines it:

"1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty."


Whoa. It's hard to find another word that describes that as well as the word "integrity" does. The problem is that it's a $65,000 word. It's not part of the everyday vocabulary. Not everyone truly knows what it means. In fact, I believe very few people do. But they should.


In everything we do, we should have integrity. It should be at the very core of our attitude, our actions, and our words. Integrity goes beyond being real, truth, having morals, etc. It encompasses all of those. It's living a life without reproach. 


The funny thing is, nowhere in that definition does it say anything about perfection. Integrity isn't about being perfect, or even striving for perfection. Having integrity is saying, "Regardless of my faults and my struggles, I am going to live a life that can be used as an example to others." It's saying, "I want to influence people to live with purpose, truth, and diligence."


What makes living with integrity so difficult is the fact that each one of us needs to remain honest with ourselves. We need to check ourselves, hold ourselves accountable. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone screws up, but it's the one with integrity that takes responsibility, owns up to that error, and fixes it. 


This word goes beyond religion. I'm a Christian and believe me, I think Christians need to abide by this more than the rest of the world. Christianity leaves a bad taste in many mouths and it's because so many have lacked integrity. But this is something everyone needs to live by.


This is one of those topics that could be discussed forever, but I'll quit while I'm ahead. Only you can decide how to live your life as one with integrity! 







No comments:

Post a Comment