Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Christian Artists You Should Be Listening To

Alright folks, this is for all you Christian music enthusiasts who've been living under rocks for the last year. Below, I listed some Christian music artists, their latest albums, and the top songs from those albums that you should be listening to. Some of these artists you've heard, some you haven't, and some you've heard of but never cared to check them out. But now I'm telling you to. You have no choice. So get out a pen and paper, and write this all down, then head over to iTunes and download away! Or, if you're old, get in your car and drive to Bender's Christian Supplies to get the cassette tape. Whatever works for you!

1) Hillsong United - Aftermath
By now, we all know who these guys are. They're a staple in the Christian music industry. The awesome thing is, their latest album, "Aftermath", is undoubtedly their best yet. I have a hard time picking out just 1 or 2 songs to really listen to because it's all amazing. But check out "Rhythms of Grace", "Awakening", and "Like an Avalanche". And be ready to have your mind blown because it's a tad different from the United you're used to.

2) Elevation Worship - Kingdom Come
First off, I'm super proud of Love Joy Church for knowing who these guys are. We're so hip! Love Joy's worship team has done the song "Sun Stand Still" that coincides with the book we're all reading. But seriously, the band is incredible. The CD is really powerful. The top 2 songs to check out: "The Church" and "Give Me Faith". I love their style and the lyrics are really powerful.

3) David Crowder Band - Church Music
If you never got on the DC*B bandwagon before now, shame on you. I'm disappointed. But you can get back in my good graces if you start listening to them right now. And since they're breaking up, you have a lot of catching up to do. And they're pulling out all the stops in their final albums. "Church Music" was incredible and besides their Christmas album, there will be one more coming out next year, titled "Give Us Rest (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys])". I've never been more pumped for an album to come out! Songs to check out on the "Church Music" album: "SMS (Shine)", "Alleluia, Sing", and "Oh, Happiness".

4) Gungor - Ghosts Upon the Earth
Ever since Michael Gungor went cool and changed his band's name from The Michael Gungor Band to simply Gungor, they've come out with some incredible stuff. Their latest album is even better than last year's, "Beautiful Things". And from last year's album, check out the song "Beautiful Things". From "Ghosts", listen to "This is Not the End" and "When Death Dies".

5) John Mark McMillan - Economy
Alright you psychos, it's time to stop being obsessed with JMM's hit single, "How He Loves". Seriously, it's gone too far. Granted, it's an amazing song, but I swear, if I hear one more cover of it , I'll go ballistic. So let's be mature adults, and move on. So you have to listen to his latest, "Economy." It is so freaking good. JMM is one of the best songwriters I have ever heard. The song to listen to? "Sheet of Night". (P.S. the best cover of "How He Loves" is DC*B's)

6) Jon Foreman - Any of his "Seasons" EPs
OK, so this is kind of old. These EPs came out almost 4 years ago, but I feel bad because no one knows about them. Everyone loves Switchfoot and rightly so. They're an incredible band. But their lead singer, Jon Foreman, has done some awesome solo work. They have a folksy, mellow sound to them, and the songwriting is phenomenal. I love the song "Equally Skilled".

7) United Pursuit Band - In the Night Season
This band is mind-blowing. Their songwriting, their passion, and their talent is incredible. I thought I was alone in the world in knowing who these guys were and then I met someone very cool over the summer who knew them better than me! It was at that moment that I knew that everything would be OK. This whole album is awesome but definitely check out "Kingdom". And while you're at it, try to find "Fill Me Up" because it's their best song ever and I can't find it anywhere to download. It's very sad. But not too sad because the music I can download is freaking awesome.

8) Brian and Katie Torwalt - Here On Earth
So I've known about these guys for about a day. And I love them. Incredibly talented and anointed. I'm not surprised that they're under the Jesus Culture Music record label. And it makes me want to marry a girl who can sing for the sole purpose of doing something like this. It's selfish, I know. The two songs I'm loving off the album are "Glorious" and "He is Faithful".

Ladies and gentlemen, don't be afraid of change. Jesus won't hate you if you suspend your overuse of albums from 2003 (or 1993) and if you say goodbye to Michael W. Smith, Don Moen, and Chris Tomlin (at least temporarily). Stay up with the times, realize that there is incredible music out there to be discovered, and download like crazy! (Or buy CDs, but c'mon, who does that anymore?)



Let me know if I missed something amazing!

1 comment:

  1. And Fireflight!! I recommend them as well, I love them. Favorite song: "Fire in my Eyes," off of the For Those Who Wait album.

    ReplyDelete