Monday, August 3, 2009

Integrity in leadership

I forgot I had this. Here I am trying to be thoughtful and philosophical (probably a redundant phrase) and I can't even remember my venue for doing so.

My girlfriend and I had coffee with a couple of friends yesterday. It's nice being older. Grabbing a cup of coffee with some other young adults & having an intelligent conversation leaves me feeling good. Sometimes, I walk away from hang-outs feeling like my IQ dropped 50 points.

I've been thinking a lot about an issue I never had to face before but now is very real - especially in today's philosophy. Here's the premise: I am a 20-something young man who is a leader of youth from the ages of 12 to my age. It has become very important I maintain the appearance AND reality of being full of integrity and trust. I can't just hang around young women anymore. I'm not 18 hanging out with a 16 year old girl! It's something every man in a position of leadership has to face sooner or later. Now it's my time.

Luckily, I had the foresight to see this coming and I have put some solid young women around my age on my leadership team that will be able to have a close relationship with the girls that I lead. That way the girls can get advice, encouragement, and friendship from leaders without any compromising of integrity. I'm a genius.

As a leader, you need to know where the line is. Not mentioning any names (P.T.), there are some grown men that think it's ok to hang out with young people, specifically younger girls. They may have done nothing wrong but it sure LOOKS wrong! So I stay away from that. I'm 23 so hanging out with a 18 or 19 year old is not creepy or weird but a 43 year old should stay away!

It might be time to have a little talk with someone...

Oh and I think I found a topic for my sermon - LEADERSHIP

No comments:

Post a Comment